Monday, August 11, 2014

Evils of the Night-Chapter 19

Strategies

Sylvia went over the battle plans in her head as she walked back up to the night floor. She walked into the girls' room. There was an extra bed in it, and Ivy was making it up in purple, similar to Sylvia's. Cynthia was sitting on her bed.
“Oh, I thought you might appreciate that.” she nodded toward the wall by Sylvia's bed. On it hung a dark purple skirt, with a dark gray top with matching dark purple cap sleeves.
Sylvia pulled the curtain around her bed area and put them on. She opened the curtain. Cynthia smiled. “Perfect!” she said. “Let me help you with your armor. I know you're going to need it tonight.”
Sylvia let Cynthia lace up the thick leather that went around her chest. It was a deep purple, of course, but was engraved with beautiful elvish designs. Her sword belt was wrapped around her waist. Then Cynthia pulled out two black cuffs that went on her wrists. They looked like black vines that wrapped around her lower arm.
“Mostly for show,” Cynthia said, “But they look really cool.”
Finally, Sylvia's long gray cloak was attached to the leather's front. Cynthia pulled her long black hair into a sturdy updo that was elegant but wouldn't fall out.
“Now you look like a true general.” she said as Sylvia looked in the mirror.
Sylvia turned and hugged Cynthia. “Thanks so much.”
“Thanks for bringing me back.” Cynthia said. Then she turned on Ivy. “You're next,Ggeneral Ivy!” Sally sat on Lucia's old bed. “You guys look great.”
“Thanks.” Sylvia said, smiling as she walked out of the room and out onto the balcony.
“You look different.” Jayden's voice came from the door.
Sylvia turned around. “I'm leading the air-borne company.” she said.
“I know.” he replied. “You're perfect for it.”
“I'm scared Jayden.” Sylvia said. “If I mess up, or if the attack fails, it's all my fault. I get blamed for it.”
Jayden nodded. “That's what responsibility is Sylv. But I have a feeling you won't fail. I just wish I could go with you.”
Sylvia nodded and Jayden hugged her.
“Just come back to me in one piece, OK?”
“I'll try.” she said, smiling up at him.
He kissed her gently. “You're brave Sylvia. A lot braver than you think.”
“I'm going to go see Brett. I haven't seen him since yesterday in the infirmary. I'll see you later.”
“Alright.” he kissed her again before she left.
“Greetings General Thompson!” Brett roared when Sylvia came down the stairs.
“Brett!” she ran to hug him. “You're out of the infirmary!”
“Pfft!” Brett snorted. “I'm going to battle tonight!” he bellowed.
“That's what he thinks.” Isa said. “It's ultimately my decision, because Frederick put me in charge of caring for him.”
Sylvia laughed and Brett pulled her closer. She fell laughing into his lap. “Isa thinks she can keep me here, but I just found out that I'm in the air-borne division, and she doesn't know how good I am at sneaking out.”
“Then I'm your general, Mr. Evans.” Sylvia said. “And my orders are for you to listen to your nurse.”
Isa struck a mocking pose and glared at Brett.
“You're kidding me.” Brett flopped back onto the couch. “I can't believe you! Girls always stick together.”
“Darn right! Especially when they care about you.” Isa said.
Sylvia shot her a “what!?” look, but Isa gave her a warning look in return. She'd let that slip out on accident.
Brett didn't seem to notice their communications, and he continued arguing that he was going up with the birds that night. Sylvia and Isa let him rant.
Sylvia barely touched her dinner that night. All the night elves were arrayed in their power colors and armor. Of the night elves, only Ben was in Sylvia's company. He was her Lieutenant General, and Brett her Major General. Ben wasn't eating much either. They left early to find their martins. Rose was waiting for Sylvia along with another martin.
“This is Silent Shadow.” Rose said. “You'll be riding with him Ben.”
“We're here to discuss strategy.” Sylvia said.
Rose nodded. “What tactics are we using?”
“I'm going to have the water elves steam up the creek enough so they can't see. Then Stella said whatever we wanted was good.”
“I don't think that's such a good idea.” Ben said. “If they can't see, we won't be able to either. We'll kill our own comrades!”
“He's got a point.” Shadow said. “What if we just swooped in and carried them off and dropped them somewhere?”
“We don't have enough birds for that.” Sylvia said. “Force A is the smallest of the companies.”
They sat in thoughtful silence. Finally Rose spoke up. “What if we fogged up the river, then turned the steam into ice. The water elves can do that. Then it will rain ice on them.”
“Still the question remains of what about our soldiers.” Ben said.
“I can see where you're going Rose.” Sylvia said. “But what if we inform the troops that we're going to be dropping ice? I created a dust cloud at the Battle of the Clearing and it served as a good distraction. The swamp creatures won't know what's happening, so that gives us a slight advantage. Then once we can see, we open fire.”
Everyone seemed to be in agreement with this plan. “I met with the snake generals this afternoon. We'll be teaming up with them and coming in as part of the reinforcements. Whoever is able to fly has to. Even if you don't have an elf or fairy.”
Shadow and Rose nodded. “I'll go tell the other generals the plan. We'll be back when it's getting dark.” Sylvia and Ben walked back into the tree as the martins flew away.
“It will work.” Sylvia said as she, Drake, Warren, and Ivy stood in the moon room. It was the tactical center during the war.
“If the distraction works, it'll only be for a second.” Warren said. “That's not enough time.”
“It's enough time to save someone who might be stabbed without that extra second.” Ben said.
“And besides, it's the only way we can get through the water without accidentally shooting one of our own elves.” Sylvia added.
“It's still not good enough.” Warren said.
“Look Warren,” Sylvia said. “Force A is the last resort. We may not even see combat today. If we even get called in, you're gonna be wishing for any amount of time you can get, especially since you're going in first.”
Drake and Ivy were on Sylvia's side, but they said nothing. Warren glared at Sylvia. It was clear that Stella had chosen Sylvia for the most complicated mission. The one that only the best could do. It wasn't a secret that both Sylvia and Jayden were the most powerful of all the night beings. Now that Sylvia was connected to the moon, she was definitely going to be a huge role in the war. Warren couldn't help but feel a little envious. He didn't get to fly this time, and even though they were the same rank, it always seemed like Sylvia was more favored by Stella. Why did she get the air mission? She'd probably get Jayden when he was well, or they would both be put in charge over an air company. He scowled.
“Fine. Do it your way. I'll tell my troops what to expect, but I don't think your plan is going to work.”
The six generals and their lieutenant generals left the meeting.
“Warren isn't going to let us make any mistakes.” Sylvia said. “I want you to make sure there's no loopholes. The air-borne division is due to take flight in two hours. I want everyone at the cave in 30 minutes.”
“Yes ma'am.” Ben said, turning and walking out of the tree. Sylvia went to the night floor to say goodbye to Jayden. He was sitting on the couch reading the purple book. He was almost done with it.
“I came to say adieu.” she said.
Jayden gave her a funny look. “What?”
“It's French. Old French, but French. It means 'until we meet again'. I don't like saying goodbye. It's so final.”
He put the book down and took her hand as she stood over him. He looked up at her. “You'll come back. I know you will. And soon I'll be flying with you. Stella came up and told me that I would be taking Force F. Another air-borne division. That is, when I'm healed up enough to fly. Frederick's herbs are really doing wonders.”
Sylvia smiled. “Farewell, Jayden.”
“You're gonna be the most beautiful general out there.” he said, kissing her hand. “I love you.”
“And I you.” she smiled sadly. “I should be home tomorrow.”
Jayden released her hand and she left, closing the door behind her.
She reached the cave where all her troops and their birds were assembled.
“Attention!” Ben barked when Sylvia entered.
All the elves, fairies, and birds snapped to attention. Those with arms saluted.
“At ease.” Sylvia said, after briskly returning the salute. “With a suggestion from Queen Stella, we have come up with a battle plan. I need your best effort. No one slacks off. The success of this mission depends on your skills with your powers and your bows. How many of you have water powers?” All the water elves and fairies raised their hands. “OK. Here's the plan...” and Sylvia told her soldiers the tactics they had come up with earlier. “Now there is another general who doesn't think we can give them enough time on the ground. Our goal is to give them as much time to get an advantage as possible. We are the last elvish force to go out. If they don't need us, we won't fight today. If they do, try not to get shot down. We'll be joining the snake armies as reinforcements if they are needed.”
They all mumbled an agreement.
“We depart in one hour for the ridge. We'll wait there for the signal.”
“Attention!” Ben barked again. The soldiers snapped up and Ben and Sylvia left the cave.
“Is Brett coming out?”
“I don't know. I was going to go check right now.” Sylvia paused for a moment. “You know when I first became an elf I didn't think I'd be leading an air force attack.”
“I didn't either.” Ben laughed. “I guess we both got surprised.”

No comments:

Post a Comment