The Moon Speaks
“The moon speaks through connections” the book read, “When a purple elf connects to the moon they have the ability to speak what the moon says. This is not to be confused with the power of prophecy or predicting the future. The connection with the moon will allow the purple elf to receive visions of past, present, and future events. The moon does not interpret the visions it sends. The purple elf must use their inner wisdom to determine what the moon is trying to communicate.
A purple elf can only connect to the moon individually if it has been foretold by a prophet or predicted by another elf who can see the future. Connecting with the moon can be done at any phase except new moon. Full moon is the best time but it is also the most dangerous, because the moon's power is the greatest. Beware the moon's power. It is friendly toward the purple elves, but it can be dangerous because it is so great.
When the moon is fully visible, the elf must stand in its light and access their power center. They will fall into the same trance that happened when the power centers were activated and the inner powers revealed. (If the elf has not been given their inner powers, do not attempt to make the connection with the moon. It could be deadly.) When they fall into the trance, they will see a scene that they were in that they could have saved someone but did not. They will be given the opportunity to relive that incident and make it right. If they fail, they will awake from the trance and they will not be able to connect with the moon for ten years. If they succeed, then the event will be changed in history, and even death can be undone, injuries mysteriously healed, and entire sequences in history will be changed. The elf will then be able to communicate with the moon.”
Sylvia re-read the pages. Cynthia had prophesied that she would connect with the moon. She looked out the window. The moon was just coming into view. Its waning crescent shining down on the world. She would have to do it tonight.
She opened the balcony door and stood, waiting for the moon to shine fully on her.
“Sylvia!” Jayden was awake.
“Yes Jayden.”
“What are you doing?”
“Fulfilling Cynthia's last prophecy.” she replied.
“What?”
“I'm connecting to the moon.”
“You know how dangerous that is?” he asked.
“Yes.”
“Don't do it Sylvia. You could get hurt.”
“I have to Jayden. It was prophesied. It's like Alex told Felix: 'you can't mess with destiny'.”
“Syl—”
“I'm going to do it Jayden.” she cut him off and her gray eyes flashed at him. He didn't argue.
The moon was shining fully on Sylvia now. She felt something in her awaken. The power center. She let the energy run through her body.
Jayden watched in silent worry as she stood, arms open toward the moonlight. Then she collapsed, glowing purple. He started up, but fell back with a gasp of pain. He would have to watch from a distance.
Sylvia fell into the trance unafraid. When the purple-gray mist evaporated, she found herself back on the battlefield.
I'm going to have to save Jayden from the witch she thought. Sure enough, she found herself in combat with Mira. But it was before she'd cut her arm. She had all her senses turned on high. She couldn't miss the opportunity to fix whatever wrong she'd done. Then she heard it. Someone calling for help. She remembered vaguely hearing it on the battlefield, but everyone was shouting, so she'd paid no mind. But now she heard it clearly. She risked a quick look around. Her eyes settled on a swamp monster standing over an elf in blue—most likely water, seeing as her dress was so shiny and flowing. The monster held a dagger in his hand, and his menacing smile glared down at the defenseless elf.
Sylvia suddenly realized that she had let a fellow elf die because she was too worried about helping Jayden. She charged the swamp monster, freeing the water elf from him. She held a knife in her hand, and she stabbed him through the heart.
“That's for Cynthia!” she hissed. The monster died.
Sylvia stood up and looked at the water elf. She was on her feet, her dark blue dress was covered in dust. She had blood on her face from a cut on her cheekbone, but Sylvia couldn't see her face. She realized the vision was closing, and the purple-gray mist was forming over her face. All she heard was “Thanks, Sylvia.” before the vision closed and she sat up gasping.
“Sylvia!” Jayden hissed.
“Jayden!” she gasped.
“What happened?”
“I think I passed the test.” she said.
“You should have gotten a vision from the moon.” Jayden said.
Sylvia frowned.
“Didn't you?”
“That's what the test was: a vision from the moon.”
“I know that. You should receive a—” Sylvia crumpled to the floor again. “vision.” Jayden finished.
Sylvia saw Felix by the moon fountain. He was kneeling in the grass by the water, crying. She suddenly awoke.
“Vision?” Jayden asked.
“Yes. If I'm not back by dawn, tell Damian I went to the moon fountain.”
“Sylvia?”
“Just do it.” she said.
“Alright.”
Sylvia strapped on her weapons. “Just in case.” she said.
Jayden nodded.
Sylvia slipped down the stairs and out of the tree. She walked as quietly as she could toward the fountain. Her gray cloak hid her pretty well in the dim moonlight. Soon she saw the glow of the fountain. As she stepped carefully into the clearing, there was Felix. He wasn't crying anymore, but he was staring into the water, lost in thought. He didn't hear her until she sat down next to him.
“Felix?”
He jumped. “Sylvia! How did you know where I was?”
“Long story.” she said. “Let's just say that the moon showed me. Are you alright?”
“I can't believe she's gone.” he whispered.
“I know Felix.” she said in a soft voice. “We'll all—”
“Be so surprised when she comes back!” Cynthia's cheerful voice spread through the clearing like a spring breeze.
Sylvia and Felix jumped up. There, standing near them, her blue dress blood-free, and her brown hair falling to her waist, was Cynthia . Her face was broken into a smile, her eyes shining. “You did what I said, Sylvia. Good work. I was hoping you wouldn't listen to Jayden. The boy can be so protective.”
“Cynthia!” Felix finally found his voice.
She turned to him. “Hello my love.”
He ran to her and scooped her up, kissing her. This time she kissed him back. “Felix. When I was with the Elven Lords I petitioned for something that's only been done once in the history of elves.”
“What was that, love?” he asked.
Sylvia smiled and rested a hand on her sword's hilt.
“I asked for a power color change.”
“You did what?”
“I prophesied that Sylvia would connect with the moon. When I was with the Elven Lords, they told me that Sylvia's test was going to be to save me. She passed the test, and so I didn't die. History was changed. But before I was sent back I asked for my power color to be changed to green.”
“But...”
“Let me finish.” she put a finger on his lips. “They said they wouldn't change my power color, but they would change yours. Blue is a higher rank than green. You know that. But because I loved you so much that I was willing to give up my rank, they decided to change your power color to blue. So now we can be together.”
Sylvia's face split into a smile. Felix held Cynthia tightly. A twig snapping in the distance announced the presence of another creature. Sylvia drew her sword and Felix put Cynthia down, drawing his. Sylvia clenched her left fist, ready to throw whoever it was back.
No comments:
Post a Comment