Friday, March 21, 2014

Evils of the Night-Chapter 11


The Dead Awaken

“What are you doing?” Lucia demanded.

Sylvia jerked herself awake. At first she was confused. Then she realized what had happened. “I'm not sure. I think I just...fell asleep and fell over.”

Lucia was unconvinced. “Why are you hitting on Jayden? Isn't it obvious that I liked him first? Where's the camaraderie we night elves have, huh? Where's the looking out for each other? I thought we could be friends, Sylvia, but I was wrong. You're trying to steal my man!”

“It's not what you think, Lucia. Jayden and I are friends. That's all.”

“Then why was it you he called for help? Why is it you who holds him? Why is it you that never leaves his side?”

“Maybe he didn't have your number. Maybe it's because I'm there when he falls. And I stay with him because that's what friends do for each other.”

“He has my number. He never gave me the opportunity to catch him, and you need a break!”

Sylvia's tired gray eyes showed that she wasn't up for arguing. “Look, I just want him to get better, OK?”

Lucia's eyes didn't relax. Instead, they grew more hostile. Finally, she was so overcome with passion that she lost control of her powers. She threw lightning bolt after lightning bolt at Sylvia, who blocked them all with electricity of her own. Lucia could also control fire, but she was no match for Sylvia, who threw them out of the way just in time. She even tried to throw one back, but Lucia zapped it with electricity, sending blue and orange streaks up out of the ceiling through the moon's window.

It was then that Frederick discovered them. He pounded his staff on the silver floor and shouted, “Cease this instant!” his face was red, even the tip of his pointy nose was red. He stormed over to the girls. Sylvia was so tired that she could barely stand, but Lucia was still in the middle of her rage. “What is this!? Fighting in the moon room? Near a patient? I am outraged! Lucia! You were told not to enter this room until Jayden was well! What are you doing here?”

“I came to relieve Sylvia.” she said.

Frederick looked at Sylvia. She only managed a shrug. “Leave this instant!” Frederick snapped.

When Lucia was gone, Frederick turned to Sylvia. “It is not wise for you to use your powers against Lucia. She is less powerful but more experienced. You are drained and tired. It was unsafe.”

“I'm sorry Frederick.” she sighed.

“Go rest, Sylvia.” he said. “I will watch over Jayden. It's time to change the medicines anyhow.”

Sylvia reluctantly laid down on the cot that was set up near Jayden's. However, within minutes, she was asleep.

Frederick let her sleep. He sat by Jayden for hours. Suddenly, he stirred and opened his eyes.

“Sylvia?” he said quietly.

“Shh. She sleeps. And for the first time in ten days she sleeps soundly.” Frederick said.

“What?” Jayden whispered.

“She has not left your side these ten days past.” Frederick said.

“Really?”

Frederick shook his head. “She barely eats, barely sleeps. Her only thought is for you.”

Jayden's eyes lit up. “You're sure?”

Frederick smiled. “Why else would she take so little care of herself?

Jayden craned his neck to see her, curled on the cot, sleeping soundly.

“Jayden. I have foreseen things. Sylvia's human relationship has ended. She begins to feel things for another that she does not understand.”

Jayden's jaw tensed.

“Don't get jealous, Jayden.” Frederick chuckled. “She feels for you.”

Jayden's eyes grew wide. “I-I don't know what to think!” he sputtered.

“Be gentle with her, Jayden. I have solved her mystery. This human relationship has hurt her very deeply.”

“What is her mystery?” Jayden asked.

“That is a question you must ask her.” Frederick said.

“Frederick?” Sylvia murmured. She was awake. “How's Jayden?”

Jayden quickly shut his eyes and went limp. Sylvia got up.

“He's going to be alright.” Frederick said. “He heals nicely. Watch him for a while longer. I have things to do.”

Sylvia resumed her seat by Jayden's side. Frederick left the moon room, leaving them alone.

“Jayden?” Sylvia whispered. “I know you can't hear me, but I have to tell you that I never really loved Jake. I know you were jealous of him. I guess he never really loved me, because he broke up with me. I don't know why, but it really hurt. I don't even know why I'm telling you. I guess I know you like me a lot.” she sort of laughed. “And what's funny is that, even though Jake and I are over, it's like I like you too.” she brushed a lock of his hair back from where it lay. “You have to get well soon, Jayden.”

Jayden hoped the pounding of his heart wasn't audible. He hoped the shivers that went up and down his spine didn't make him twitch. What should he do? She thought he was unconscious. He could sit up and tell her he loved her, kiss her, and everything would be alright, or he could continue to lay there like a log.

He took too long deciding, because Frederick returned.

“Sylvia.” he said. “I need your assistance in preparing for the full moon tomorrow night. Those stars up there need dusting. Usually one of the wood elves does it for me, but no one other than us is allowed in here while Jayden is ill. Could you do it for me?”

“Of course.” she said.

The stars were at the top of the vaulted ceiling, and they were the stars Frederick used to determine the powers of new elves, so they had to be perfectly clear. Sylvia was hooked up to the pulley that would carry her up to the ceiling. She then used her powers to haul herself up. Frederick secured the ropes when she was finished.

“How often do you dust these things? They're filthy!” Sylvia called down.

Frederick chuckled and went over to Jayden. “How strong are you?” he asked.

“Strong enough to get up now.” Jayden muttered.

“Strong enough to catch a falling star?” Frederick pressed.

“What do you have in mind?” Jayden asked.

“Be ready to make a run for it.” Frederick said, turning toward Sylvia and the stars.

Sylvia wasn't watching the old man. She was too intent on the stars. So when all of a sudden the rope slipped and she went hurtling toward the ground, she was at first not scared. However, it took less than a second for that switch to flip.

“Frederick!” she shouted.

The old man wasn't quick enough or strong enough to catch her, and she couldn't see Jayden jump from the cot and streak across the silver floor. She didn't see him until she landed in his arms.

“You got faster, Fred—Jayden!”

“Hey Sylv.” he said, setting her down. She immediately threw herself at him, hugging him tight.

“Jayden you're alright!”

He held her at arms' length. “Sylvia. I love you.”

Sylvia was startled. “Y-you do?”

“You must've known. I know you know. You told me.”

“You heard that?” she blushed.

“Every word. Sylvia, you mean everything to me. I don't know what I'd do without you.”

“What about Lucia? She's madly in love with you too.”

“I don't care. She's a black. I'm a purple. There's no chance for her.”

Sylvia and Jayden were finally together. However, preparations for the full moon were still unfinished. The Mud Queen's whereabouts were unknown, and elves were set on watch at all times. The tree was safe because it was magical. The Moon Queen protected it. Elves were sent on nightly patrols to make sure the Queen didn't come near the tree. Jayden and Sylvia, and the three night fairies were staying in an inner chamber of the night level of the tree. The fairies names were Drake, Warren, and Fayette. They kept mostly to themselves on the fairy side of the chamber. Sylvia and Jayden anxiously waited for the full moon and the arrival of the third elf.

1 comment: