Sunday, February 9, 2014

Evils of the night-Chapter 7


All's fair in love and war



“Brett!” Sylvia caught up to him one morning in town. “Where've you been?”

“I was busy.” he said, pulling a purple binder out of his backpack. “Here.”

“Elves and Fairies.” she read the cover. “You've been doing research? Like, actual research?”

“Yeah. Most of it is from one of Frederick's books. The purple one you're supposed to read...” he elbowed her.

“Shut up. That book's too thick.”

“I condensed it down in there. There's this too.” he pulled out a blue binder from his bag too. “This one's about the blues. Turns out Frederick had a book for us too. Isa got it for me.”

“Good work, buddy! I'm proud of you!”

“Brett! Sylvia!” a male voice called them from behind. They both turned and saw Jake Carter running up behind them. Jake went to school with them.

“Hey Jake.” Brett said.

“Hey!” he replied, slowing to a walk and joining them. Sylvia tucked the purple binder into her bag, then brushed her hair behind her ear.

“Haven't seen you guys around lately. What's happenin'?”

“Nothing really. I mean, just the usual. We're at Sylvia's a lot, just like always.” Brett replied.

“I'm glad I caught up with you, 'cause Jenny's havin' a party tonight, and she asked me to ask you guys if I saw you. I guess she lost your number, Brett.”

Jenny Price was a sweet rich girl that was new in school. She and Brett had taken a shine to each other.

“Sweet!” Sylvia cheered. “Finally some social life other than Brett!”

“Hey now...” Brett retorted.

“Well, that's great!” Jake said. “I gotta run but I'll see you there. It's casual, but kinda nice casual. You know Jenny.”

“We'll be there!” Brett said.

“See ya later then, man.” he and Brett shook hands and hugged. “Bye Sylv.” Jake winked at her.

Sylvia waved her fingers at him as he walked away. Then she turned around and she and Brett continued walking.

“What was that?” Brett asked.

“What was what?”

“What was that, 'Bye Sylv', and that wink, and that wave, and why is your face all red.”

“My face isn't red. We're friends.”

Brett laughed. “Right. If I winked at you when I said good-bye you'd punch me and tell me to quit being a psycho.”

“That's not your style. It's Jake's.” Sylvia said. “He's kind of a...well...he's more of a punk than you.”

“You mean he's got that swag thing you like so much.”

Sylvia didn't answer.

“Your face is getting redder.” Brett suddenly stopped. “You're crushing on Jake!”

“No I'm not.” Sylvia said, keeping on walking.

“Yes you are! You're in love with Jake! Admit it!”

“If you admit that you're crushing on Jenny Price.”

“What!?” Brett snorted. “No I'm not.”

“You are too.” Sylvia said. “I found this when you left the other day. It must've fallen out of our notebook or something.” she began to read. “Jenny is so beautiful, so smart, so wonderful. She's everything I want, but I can never ask her out. She's so above me.” Sylvia paused.

“Where did you find that?”

“I told you, it must've fallen out of your notebook.”

“OK fine, you win. I like Jenny. Now admit it. You like Jake.”

Sylvia laughed. “Oh, you're funny, Brett.”

“Say it.”

“Make me.”

Brett stepped closer and made a fist. “Say it or I'll throw this at you.”

“You're gonna punch me?”

“Say it.”

“I admit nothing to you.”

“Fine. You leave me no choice.” he pulled back his fist and pitched something at Sylvia. He'd made a water ball in his hand. It soaked her. Brett stood there looking at her. She stood frozen in one place. Then she finally lifted her head.

“You suck!” she said.

Then Brett started laughing. Sylvia threw her hand forward and he fell back.

“What the...?”

“Don't mess with a night elf.” Sylvia said, tossing her wet hair and stalking off.

Brett stood up and ran after her. “Where did you learn to do that?”

“Jayden.”

“Jayden?”

“We have the same powers, you dolt. He teaches me everything.”

They walked together in silence for a while. Then Sylvia's phone rang.

“Hello?” A look of surprise spread across her face. “How did you get my number?” a pause. “Oh. OK. Yeah. Fine. See you then. Bye.” she hung up.

“Who was it?”

“Jake. Tiffany gave him my number.”

“Tiffany?”

“Yeah...Jenny's sister.”

“Oh yeah her.”

“He said the party starts at six. I've got to go home and get dried out. I'll meet you over there, OK?”

“Sure. No hard feelings, right?”

“Nah. I'll pay you back later.” and Sylvia ran off.

She arrived home right as her Dad got up.

“Hey Dad.” she said. “I'm going out tonight, so don't worry about anything fancy for dinner.”

“Where are you going?” he asked, yawning and grabbing the milk out of the fridge.

“Jenny's.”

“Alright. I guess I'll just order pizza or something.”

Sylvia gave him the 'really?' look, and headed for her room.

“Sylv?”

“Yeah Dad?”

“Why are you all wet?”

“Brett.” she said.

Her Dad chuckled. “Kid knows what he's doing.”

“You're hilarious Dad.” Sylvia said, continuing on her intended path.

She walked into her bathroom and turned on her hairdryer. “Darn you Brett.”

About a half hour later she emerged again.

“Don't you look like a million bucks?” her Dad said as she walked into the room.

Sylvia grinned. “Thanks.” she said.

“You're not riding the quad in those jeans are you?” her dad said, nodding toward her dark blue skinny jeans. “Every bit of dust'll show up.”

“No, I'm getting a ride...in a car.” she said.

“Anyone I know?”

“Jake Carter.”

Her Dad nodded. “Alright.”

She grabbed her bag from the table as the doorbell rang. “See ya later Dad.” she said, blowing him a kiss.

“Have fun sweetie. Don't stay out too late.”

“OK.” she waltzed to the door, where Jake was standing.

“Hey gorgeous.” he said when she opened it.

“Shut up Jake.” she said, smacking his arm playfully.

“You know anyone named Jayden?” Jake asked, opening the passenger door of his Mustang.

“Yeah, why?” Sylvia replied, getting in.

Jake shut the door and trotted around to the driver's side. “Because Tiffany told me Jenny invited some new guy in town named Jayden.”

“Jayden's coming to the party? OK.”

“Don't know if he'll be there, but he was invited.”

They pulled out of the driveway and onto the street. Jake is so funny, Sylvia thought. They laughed and talked the whole drive to Jenny and Tiffany's mansion.

When Jake helped Sylvia out of the car, Jayden walked up.

“Sylvia?” he called.

She turned around. “Jayden! Hi! Glad you could make it.”

“So you're Jayden, huh?” Jake asked, stepping forward to shake hands. “Jake Carter. Nice to meet you.”

Jayden shook hands, but Sylvia saw ice in his eyes. “Jayden Walsh. Pleasure's mine.”

Jake stepped back. “Shall we go in?” he offered his arm to Sylvia. “M'lady?”

“You goof.” she laughed.

They preceded Jayden into the house. When they walked in, Jenny came squealing up to Sylvia. “Oh my gosh I'm so glad you're here! When I lost Brett's number I was like 'oh no now I won't be able to contact them', and Tiff wouldn't give me your number, so I was like, hey Jake you know them...so yeah, glad you could make it!”

“It's good someone knew where to find us.” Sylvia said. “Is Brett here yet?”

“No, not yet.” Jenny said. “He will be, though, right?”

“Yeah.” Sylvia said.

Jenny moved on to Jayden, and Jake and Sylvia slipped away.

“She's really hyperactive tonight.” Jake said, handing Sylvia a drink.

“That's Jenny. Always happy.” Sylvia said.

“Hey now. You're happier now.”

Sylvia smiled, but stared at Jenny and Jayden. “She's truly happy though.”

Jake gave Sylvia a hug. “You're better now than you were. It won't take long and you'll be as truly happy as Jenny.”

“Thanks Jake, but you don't just get over what I've been through.”

No comments:

Post a Comment