Thursday, January 30, 2014

Evils of the Night-Chapter 4


Just Friends

Sylvia left the tree early the next morning. Jayden walked her home.

“Sylvia, I should tell you something about the moon ball.”

“What's that?” she asked.

“Well, you've never met a fairy. Watch out.”

“I thought they were our friends.”

“Fairies can sometimes get a little carried away, especially when they've had too much moon juice. They can get a little crazy.”

Sylvia laughed. “I bet any of us could get crazy if we had too much moon juice.” she'd tried moon juice the night before, and had loved it instantly.

They had reached the house. Sylvia's dad wasn't due for another hour, but Sylvia liked to be home long before him. They were standing on the front steps leading up to the screened in porch. Sylvia had one hand on the door handle, and Jayden stood on the step below her.

“I'm just warning you. I've only been to one moon ball, but Cynthia will tell you the same thing I am.” his deep blue eyes stared into hers. Suddenly Sylvia was overwhelmed by the intensity of his gaze, and she dropped her eyes to her shoes.

“Sorry.” he muttered, then walked down the stairs and Sylvia entered the house.

“That was weird.” Sylvia said out loud to Sebastian, who was still in her room.

Her dad arrived home just as Brett showed up on his ATV. They entered the house together.

“Hey Syl.” Brett said.

“Hey darlin'.” Mr. Evans greeted his daughter with a kiss on the forehead. “I'm off to bed, but Brett says he's got plans for you today, so have fun.”

“Dad, do you mind if Brett and I went camping out in the woods by the creek?”

Mr. Evans looked back and forth between Sylvia and Brett, then smiled. “Yeah, sure. Just don't expect me to help you. I'm going to sleep.”

Sylvia laughed. “How many times have we gone camping, Dad?”

He chuckled and hugged her. “I know. Have fun. And goodnight.”

When Mr. Evans was gone, Sylvia headed for the door. Brett caught her arm.

“Camping?”

“OK, so we're going to sleep in a tree, but it is by the creek.”

“What's the occasion?”

“The Moon ball.”

“The what?”

“The moon ball. We'll finally meet the fairies!”

Brett smirked. “Well, I was planning on taking a trip to the tree today. I'm supposed to meet the other water elves.”

“I already met the night elves. There's seven of us. Although Cynthia told me there is more, but they rarely spend time at the tree.”

“Nice. The only water elves I know are Devon and Isa.”

“What's Isa's power color?”

“Power color?”

“Nevermind.”

Sylvia and Brett arrived at the cave where they changed and rubbed the dog tags together, then they hurried to the tree before they were seen. It was still too early for elves to be out.

Brett was intercepted at the water elves' home by Isa and Devon, while Sylvia continued up the stairs to the night elves' level.

“Oh, you're back!” Cynthia squealed, jumping off the couch, where she sat reading. “I've got the perfect dress for you!”

Sylvia allowed Cynthia to drag her into the bedroom. She was met with a spectacular sight. Hanging up on one of her pegs on the wall was a deep purple dress. It was short, with a flowing skirt. There was one thick strap going over one shoulder and a thin one over the other.

“Your accessories are all in black and silver too.” Cynthia said. “Isn't it perfect!?”

Sylvia was awestruck. “It is! Oh it's perfect!”

“Oh! Let me show you mine.” Cynthia bubbled. She pulled out a deep blue dress. It went all the way to her toes, with a brown cinch in front, and a white, off the shoulder collar. “All my accessories are in brown and white. So, what do you think?”

“It's beautiful Cynthia.”

“I have privileged information for you. Jayden is wearing purple tonight. Oh, and do you think you could introduce me to your friend Brett?”

“Sure, why?”

“Because, his color's blue, and I know every person in this tree with the power color blue.”

Sylvia laughed. “Alright.”

The two girls went down to the water hole. Brett was sitting on the couch, and it looked like he was sleeping.

“Brett!” Sylvia called.

He sat up. “What?”

“I want you to meet Cynthia. She's a blue, and she wanted to meet you because you're a blue too.”

“I know every blue in this tree, and it would be a shame if I didn't make your acquaintance too, especially because you're Syl's friend.”

A muscle in Brett's jaw tensed when she called Sylvia Syl. He smiled, shook hands, and when Cynthia went upstairs again, he pulled Sylvia over to sit next to him.
“Why did she call you Syl?”

“Because that's my nickname, duh.”

“That was my name for you, Syl. I've always called you that. What does your dad call you?”

“Sylvie. Or Sylv.”

“What did your mom call you?”

“She always called me Sylv.”

“What do your other friends call you?”

“Sylvia.”

“Anyone else ever call you Syl?”

“No, I guess not. I don't get what the big deal is, Brett.”

“I've always had that name for you, Syl. We've been friends since we were three, and no one but me has ever called you that.”

“So you're jealous.”

“No. I mean yeah. I mean no. I-I guess...yeah, I am.”

Sylvia put her hand on Brett's shoulder. “You're my best friend, Brett. If you want your name to be special, I'll ask Cynthia not to call me Syl, OK?”

Brett smiled sheepishly. “Thanks.”

Sylvia stood up. “I better go before Devon sees me.”

“Hey, um, could you go to the ball thing with me tonight?”

Sylvia smiled. “Sure. We go to every dance together anyways. Why should we change tradition?” and she went up the stairs.

“It'll never work out Brett.” Isa said, coming out of the girls' room.

“What?”

“You and Sylvia. It won't work.”

“Why not?”

“Because in our world, she's above you. Your power colors aren't even the same.”

“Me and Sylvia? You think I have a crush on her?”

“You just asked her to be your date.”

“Isa, we always go to dances as friends.”

“That's not what that means here. If a boy takes a girl to a dance, they're dates. Not friends, dates. It'll cause a fuss.” Isa sighed.

Brett slapped his hand to his face. “Now what do I do?”

As if on cue, Jayden came down the stairs. “Is Devon there?”

“No, Jayden. C'mon in.” Isa said.

“I'm just passing through. I just thought I'd make sure my life wouldn't end if I came down there.”

“We need you to take a message to Sylvia.” Brett said. “I asked her to go to the ball with me, not realizing it would break a whole bunch of rules and stuff, so I have to tell her...”

“I got it.” Jayden interrupted. “I'll take care of it.” and he ran back up the stairs.

“Guess he forgot what his errand was.” Isa said.

Brett leaned back on the couch and closed his eyes again. Isa looked at the floor, then at him. It was strange how this human made her feel so strange. She'd never felt so strange before. All elves knew what elvish love was, but this wasn't it. It was, in a way, stronger.

Jayden reached the top of the stairs and took a deep breath. He pushed open the trap door and entered the living space. He was about to knock on the girls' door when it suddenly opened and Lucia came blazing out. She plowed right into him and they both fell over. He landed on top of her, braced on his hands.

“Well, hi there Jayden.” Lucia said in a voice as smooth as silk.

“Sorry Lucia.” he said, getting up. “Didn't expect that.”

“No I'm sorry. I knocked you down.” she said, accepting the hand he offered. He pulled her to her feet.

“Is Sylvia in your room?”

Lucia's eyes darkened a little. “Yes, but if you're thinking about asking her to the ball tonight, don't. She's got a date.”

“No, she doesn't. I just talked to him. There was a bit of a traditional issue. But, since he's a water elf, he can't come up here.”

Lucia drooped a little now. “Oh. Well, OK.” and she walked away.

Jayden shrugged and knocked on the door. Cynthia opened it.

“Oh hi Jayden!” she said, in that happy way of hers.

“Hey. Sylvia, can I talk to you for a second?”

“Sure.” she got off her bed and followed Jayden onto the balcony.

“Um, there's a bit of an issue with you and Brett going to the ball together.”

“There is?”

“Yeah, there's a lot of rules and traditions associated with this ball, and by you guys going together, you wouldn't be going as friends, you'd be going as dates.”

Sylvia made a face. “Me? Brett? Dates? No.”

“That's what he thought.”

“So I guess Cynthia and I will go together as was originally planned.” Sylvia smiled at Jayden. “Thanks for that heads up. I would hate to have everyone think that Brett and I were a thing. No way.” and she walked back into the room, leaving Jayden alone on the balcony.

No comments:

Post a Comment